Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Enlightening Music

http://youtu.be/6q2mFiN7GIc

The song that I chose to embed into my blog was one i actually just discovered or at least haven't heard in a while called "Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. At first I was just looking to find a song that could fit well enough with my book so I could use it, but then after I got lucky enough to find this song I found that it fit perfectly with situations Nailer was in. Along with matching well with Nailer I also just really enjoy the song. I myself learned from it and sense I also enjoy playing poker, I got what he was trying to say. In the song it says "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run." I feel that Nailer does a good job of this in the novel because he understands the difference in situations between fate/luck and when he actually needs to strategize.

The situation that I mostly imagine Nailer in when i hear this song is when he is in the air ducts collecting wire. This of course is Nailer's job in the book which puts him in hazardous situations most of the time. In these old air ducts he is confronted with these situations where he has to decide whether to keep going, give up, or just simply decide what he has is enough and turn around and head back. Also in the song it is said "You never count your money when you're sitting at the table. They'll be time enough for countin when the dealins done". This can also be used to connect to Nailer in the air ducts because there is no time to see how much wire you actually have because those ducts could break any second so there is plenty of time for you to do it when you get out. In the beginning of the book, the ducts do just that and break and Nailer falls into an oil pit where he is forced to the decision of risking his life and sinking under the oil to find a way out. That was just one of those times where he chose fate/luck over anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment