Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Feelings of the 21st Century Classroom

Over the years there has definitely been some changes. Most of these changes were of course for the best but they effect more than just what people think. With the inventions of blogging, tweeting, facebooking, and skyping, the modern English class itself has changed. I'm sure ten years ago there were not many classes (if any) that were assigned to just go blog about a book that they got to pick out themselves and read it when they wanted to read it. But with this assignment, my teacher gave us the option to post our blogs on Facebook or even tweet about them to get extra credit for our blogs. I really enjoy this activity of blogging because mostly every week we get to get out of the classroom just to go blog, which I am getting more and more comfortable with. I have never enjoyed just sitting down and reading because I was forced to do it all through grade school which was not very fun. But now I can choose a book from the Read For a Lifetime list and read when I have the time to.

The activity of blogging overall is great. Every week in the first quarter we were given a different blog to do that required us to go more in depth with our blog and we had to truly know what we were talking about. This quarter was not that much more different except that after the first two blogs we got to choose what we wanted to do for our blogs which I enjoyed because it made me feel like I had more freedom then just following this weekly assignment for my blog. This assignment is also different then if we would've been just doing something boring like sitting in the class room and reading aloud because then you are forced to read something you might not want to read. Also, this quarter we had the ability to Skype a completely different school across the state. Unfortunately we never did this activity which is alright but it would've been something different. As time goes on I'm sure the English classroom will continue to change just hopefully for the better with different activities like blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment