Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Summary of my Blogging Experience

     When our English teacher, Mrs. Hayes, came into class and told us that we were going to be blogging for a major writing grade every quarter, I wasn't sure what to think. It was a new thing for me and I will admit I was kind of nervous thinking that I wasn't going to be to good at it or I wasn't going to finish all of them but sure enough I was mistaken. Blogging has turned out to be a really fun experience this past year and I am actually really happy we did them because it exposed me to a new type of writing and a hobby that I can take with me throughout college and the rest of my life. I already know a few people that blog all the time for college and others who do it just for the fun of it. Also, blogging let us connect to a completely different school and we were able to go to their own website and see the blogs that they had been posting. Another really cool thing that we got to do was have whole room to room Skype chats with the other school. But the difference between our blogs though are, they just have one big blog every month for the book that they read that month. We have six blogs about the same book that are due at the end of each quarter. Their blogs are also about random books that they have just found an interest in where ours are off of the Illinois Read for a Life Time List. But with the end of Junior year, comes the end of blogging for the school year, which is kind of sad to think a year just flew by but at the same time it is a relief to know that we are almost to summer!
     Everyone's blogs from CCHS come from The Read for a Life Time list unless you were special and already read four books from the list before the fourth quarter and you got to make posts about the book you chose as long as you got it okayed by the teacher. This is a really good list if you want to read a good book but  you are just not sure which books are the good ones. My Freshman year the hit book and now hit movie The Hunger Games, was on that list and now look how popular it is... I'm not saying it is popular because of the list but just that it contains good books! The four books I read this year were, Around the World in 80 Days, Ship Breaker, From Baghdad With Love, and A long Walk to Water. They were are really good books that caught my interest in some way and I don't regret choosing any of them. This is actually my first time participating in the Read for a Life Time program and that is because it was actually required. But without it I wouldn't have gotten more reading and writing experience, a certificate with my name on it, and a good college application booster. I consider this past year to be a very successful one when it comes to my blogs at least and definitely wouldn't mind doing it again in the future!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Jack, this is Soumya from Fremd! I had the exact same reaction as you when Mr. Anderson told us about blogging at the beginning of the year. But now, I really like blogging and our whole class was really happy that they were going to continue the Ning next year. The great thing about it is that we can continue blogging even after the school year ends if we really want to. I have gotten a lot of ideas for good books to read based on people's book blogs, but The Read for a Life Time list you mentioned sounds interesting- I'll be sure to check it out. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) I;m Michelle from Fremd, and I agree with everything you said about blogging.I was a little nervous about it at the beginning of the year, but now it's almost second nature. I think its a wonderful way to get students to connect through writing outside of the classroom. Next time I'm looking for a new book I might check out The Read for a Life Time list. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what you said about blogging. At first I was a little apprehensive but then I was able to see all of the benefits of blogging during this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dis is Patrick from Fremdland, commenting on the summation on blogging. You did it really well. The whole deal with blogging is that it's a microcosm for creativity, and Carbondale seems to capture that with your variety of different types of posts. I envy your ability to vlog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this, because when i first heard blog from my teacher i thought it was a dumb idea, but now I love blogging. because i get talk about whatever i feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was kind of nervous about blogging because it seemed so different but I've come to enjoy it and found it's a great way to see everyone's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete